07 Apr What do Jesus and Kevin James have in Common?
Reflecting on the life of Jesus and the lives changed this past weekend in the services at Community Church, I’m still in awe of the more than 150 people who came forward to go all in for Jesus. I struggle for words to adequately describe my amazement.
Sunday evening I sat with my wife to watch the premier of A.D. the Bible Continues and the first segment of the show takes us through the trial and crucifixion of Jesus. The segment ends with Jesus hanging dead on the cross. It breaks to commercials and the first commercial is for the comedy movie Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 that promises completely random humor.
I suddenly realized this is the great paradox of our life; we go from the emotional, gut-wrenching scene of Jesus hanging on the cross to Kevin James on a Segway in seconds. It’s kind of like when you come to church, have this amazing experience, feel God’s love and presence and then go eat at Cracker Barrel, run by Lowe’s, get some groceries and go home and cut your grass. What do we do when we have to try to put together the natural, the supernatural and the spiritual in a world that is truly all over the place?
The answer is: we use what culture understands to bring the truth of Jesus’ love to life. The answer is: we focus on the reality that most people have never truly encountered the love God has for them. The answer is in making ourselves get closer to Jesus so we have His wisdom and reflect His character to others all along the way.
Here are 7 quick things we can all do this week, for greater impact on our culture and less impact from culture on us:
- Worship: sing to God, it changes your heart in a good way.
- Start with reading the Bible and prayer each morning: even if it’s for only one minute, let what God says be the first thing you put in your mind each day.
- End everyday with the Bible and prayer: let what God says about you be the last thing you put in your mind each night.
- Engage in relationship(s) with someone who can tell you if you are acting more like Kevin James or Jesus: both have their benefits, but at the end of the day only one promises life. (By the way, I am a Kevin James fan and I think he is hilarious.)
- Talk with someone you trust about what you think God is asking you to do.
- Do what you now know God is asking you to do.
- Be Brave.
The best is yet to come!
Oh, and to answer the title question…what do Jesus and Kevin James have in common? They both make people smile 😉